Tuesday, September 28, 2010

All's well that ends well - sort of . . .

Being Scooter's mom was hard work yesterday.

First, we haven't been able to find one of his red crocs for a couple of days but because those were the shoes he really wanted to wear yesterday afternoon we spent 30 minutes looking for the shoe before I could get kids in the car. He refused to leave the house until we found it. I was getting frustrated and so was Riley but then I reminded him that after our long string of to-do's we were going straight to Soccer practice anyway so he needed to wear tennis shoes. We finally got in the car.

We got in the car so that we could go pick Tyler up directly from school. This requires sitting in a line in the car for 30 + minutes. Not my favorite way to spend an afternoon either, but Scooter was really mad about the whole thing. Spent 29 of the 30 minutes complaining, asking to get out of his seatbelt and whining about how he didn't like to wait in line. Then he crashed out for a tiny nap. Peace. Tyler got in the car and we headed to Rockwall.

We headed to Rockwall so that we could get both Tyler and Scooter to the dentist. This is our 3rd or 4th attempt to have Scooter's first dentist appointment. We had been talking it up for weeks and the most I could get out of Scooter was that he would let them do a 'little bit but not all of it'. Whatever that means. Tyler went in first which gave Scooter time to fully wake from his nap and me time to chat with the staff that I have known for 30 years. When it was Scooter's turn, he of course said no. Pouted. Cried. I settled him down and was finally able to get him in the chair on my lap. This was a tiny victory because it was the farthest we have gotten. They raised the chair, laid us back. Scooter was as stiff as a board. All the hygenist was going to do was look around at his teeth with the little mirror. She didn't even have the toothpaste out or anything, knowing Scooter I guess. Nope. Wouldn't do it. Refused to open his mouth or unclench his jaw. We tried showing him on me and Tyler. Nothing. Later he told me he had lost his 'Ahh' and so he couldn't open his mouth. After 10 minutes we gave up. I go for my own cleaning in a couple of weeks and we will try again. My dentist reviewed Scooter's diet and our brushing habits and said that he would be fine. I just had to watch for anything that looked or smelled bad or that he complained of hurting. Otherwise, as long as we get his first cleaning in by the time he's 6 it'll be all right. Easy for him to say. I was embarrassed and hugely frustrated and stressed by the time we left.

We left because we had to run one errand on the way to practice. The grocery store. My kids are usually very good at the grocery store, but this was not really grocery shopping. That will be later in the week after payday. This was a run-in-and-grab-something-quick shopping. Scooter was tired. He told me he didn't want to shop, he was just going to wait in the car. Right, like that's happening. He was serious though, which required me carrying him into the store, Scooter crying and whining the whole way. Once in the store, I said the words 'We're just getting a couple of things for dinner' about a hundred times while all 3 of the boys asked 'Can we get this?' 'Can we get that?' Scooter threw a fit because Riley was holding the one bag of snacks that I did pick up (to fill in for lunches since I'm out of the prebagged chips) and he wanted to hold it. Crying and whining again while we all piled back in the car.

We all piled back in the car so that we could drive one block to soccer practice. Scott was there waiting. Scooter squirmed while I squeezed his legs into shin guards and long socks. I tried to have a quick conversation with my mother on the phone, but he refused to even walk into the building without me right by his side. The kids had just had a week off of practice and games because of an art fair at the church and the break was nice for me while it was happening, but didn't do us any favors with Scooter. He absolutely refused to do anything at practice. He cried. He whined. He sat in the floor and refused to move. After a lot of threatening to sit on the sidelines and not stay with him, he participated a little bit, but he didn't really listen to the coach or do any of the drills the way he was supposed to. I looked up to see Scott shooting hoops with Tyler and kicking a soccer ball with Riley (who wants to play) and chatting with the other parents and wanted to give up and go home. After some prodding, Scott did come and help me try to talk Scooter into actually practicing, but it still was a struggle. By the end of the hour, Scooter almost had a smile on his face again and was starting to interact with the other kids again. I was in a really bad mood. It was time to go home and make dinner.

We make dinner - frozen pizza because it's fast and it's already after 7 p.m. Scooter won't eat pizza and insisted on Rice. We made the rice and then he barely touched it. Scott wanted to know what was wrong with me, why I was down. It's just been an exhausting day being Scooter's mom. This isn't fun. Soccer isn't fun. I want to be one of the mom's on the sidelines watching my kid have fun and do silly things. I don't want to be the ONLY mom in week 5 that has to stay with my kid so he'll stay out there and play. Scott tells me that I'm doing a great job. It'll get better. It's just his first season. He'll grow out of it. Really? When? We eat.

We eat and clean up. I hear Scooter asking Tyler to help him learn a Wii game. When Tyler says he doesn't really have time tonight, I hear Scooter say 'OK, maybe another day you can show me.' The sweetest boy in the world is slowly returning. Scott turns on the Packer game. I pour a glass of wine. We sit at the table and start looking online for a decent buy on a tent.

We are looking for a tent because Scott and Tyler are doing a cub scout camping trip this weekend, and of course we don't have any gear. We were really looking for something small for the two of them, but they really want all of us to camp together for the family campout in November. November? Why on earth would I (the camping NON-enthusiast) want to sleep outside on the ground in the cold of November? But being the good mom that I am, I have agreed to consider it so I was also looking at some bigger tents too. I see some very nice, large 3 room tents and I show them to Scott.

I show them to Scott and say 'This wouldn't be bad. We can sleep on one end, the kids on another. There's room for gear. The kids wouldn't be right on top of us. It's worth thinking about for later, anyway.' Scott glances over and says in his funny, special way 'Oh yeah - we could get busy in that one!' I roll my eyes at him and laugh then move on to the next tent. Scooter wasn't really part of our conversation, but at the moment he was sitting on Scott's lap and he piped in 'Yeah, we could get busy in that one.' We laugh and say 'oh really?' 'Yeah' he says 'It'll be fun.' Scott and I break down laughing hysterically and I text the short version of the story to my sister, because it was one of those I don't want to forget and she'll help me remember.

Tyler was tough on Sunday, Riley will be tough today because it's hair day and he's my one kid who doesn't get excited about haircuts. But yesterday it was Scooter. It was long and grueling and exhausting, but at the end of the day he was still my Scooter, funny and sweet and loving. He went to bed without a hitch and when Scott and I turned all the lights off later and headed to bed ourselves, I made my nightly run through the kids rooms to make sure they were safe, warm and kissed one last time. I walked into Scooter's room and found him sound asleep next to his bed in the floor with one arm lovingly around Bella who was sleeping half way under his bed as quiet and as still as could be. They were sweet. Scooter was sweet. I moved him to his bed and tucked him in and kissed him. And even though he had worn me out all day, I thanked God for granting me the priveledge of being his mom.

Thanks and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those middle boys. They'll give you more gray hair than the other two combined. Hang in there! They end the day by being cute so we don't smother them in their sleep. ;-)

    ReplyDelete