Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Christmastime Update . . .

Stockings are hung, presents are wrapped, cookies are baked, floor is - well, passably clean. All is in readiness for the big day, or days in our case. The Barrow family is ready for Christmas.

Last week was a flurry of insanity, but since I was fueled by daily doses of a steroid to help me feel better - I literally took on the role of Energizer Bunny. Riley helped me mix up, roll out and shape dough for almost every cookie I baked. He was also a trooper helping me do mom's grocery shopping for our massive cookie party and switching out laundry and making beds. In the evenings when his patience had come to an end and he had some cranky or stubborn moments, I urged Scott to give him some leeway. He had earned leniency as far as I was concerned.

In the midst of our last week of school there was a holiday orchestra concert, basketball practice, two last swim lessons for the fall session and Scooter's Winter Party to attend. Teacher gifts started leaving our house on Tuesday for Tyler's REACH class and wrapped up on Friday with Tyler having to haul 4 gifts with him to school. The homemade options were a big hit with all the teachers, especially his male instructor. That had been a hard choice for us since we had never sent a teacher gift for a guy before, but I think we hit a home run. More on what we gave will come after Christmas - there are still aunts and uncles who haven't opened their precious homemade presents yet.

On Friday night, I left all my boys at home and drove to mom's house for party prep. Asheley and Perry had arrived from Austin with their dog, Kozmo, and my niece, Jocelyn, in tow. I hadn't seen Perry and Kozmo in almost 2 years except for an occasional glimpse on Asheley and my video chats. Kozmo attacked me immediately in all his small but furious furriness and then I got to hug Perry which was long overdue! We ordered pizza and chatted and laughed and prepped food, tables and dessert platters for the next morning. I called it quits sometime before ten and headed home to my sleeping family.

Scott had to work on Saturday so I was on my own with all 3 boys for the cookie party, but we managed to get up and ready and out the door on time. We swooped in and started setting up the rest of the decorating tables and putting out the food that was baking for our guests. The cookie party keeps growing and at one point that day I looked up and realized there was more than one person this year that I didn't know in attendance. That's fine - the more the merrier. It was a little tight for walking around this year, prompting a friend to recommend renting a hall for the gig next year. Santa made a second appearance this year and all the kids took a break from slathering cookies with frosting and sprinkles to sit on his lap and get a goodie bag. Last year Scooter sat and Riley wouldn't, this year it was reversed. Tyler spent the entire party playing with one of my friend's sons (the family we got Brewer from), Jacob, and asked for a goodie bag later.

Conveniently, I took my last steroid Saturday morning which got me through the chaos of the party and the major clean up we were left with, but once it was all over and I didn't have another boost to keep me going I started to experience the very expected crash. All the prep and work caught up with me. Mom and I found spots in recliners and put on a favorite movie, 'Little Women', to chill out to and sob to because, as mom said, 'we deserve it'. Tyler kept popping in and wondering why in the world we would want to watch a movie just to cry to it, but dad and Perry just told him it was a girl thing and to go with it. Scott arrived after work to find me laying in a chair under a blanket with Jocelyn snoozing in my lap and me crying happily to a sappy chick flick.

After dinner, we had a small Christmas with Perry, Asheley and Tara. The boys were excited about opening a few gifts from Austin and a couple from Grandma and Grandpa. The early gifting worked out so well and has kept the kids from going too crazy this week. Grandma and Grandpa gave all my kids the Star Wars full series on Blue Ray so Riley has watched a minimum of one Star Wars movie per day since then. Not like we didn't have the movies, but the DVD's were in rough shape and I have to admit the quality viewed on my big tv is pretty impressive. The boys are also enjoying their new spy gear binoculars and walkie-talkies. Tyler got his own cribbage board and is learning to play with all of us. Tyler spent the night at Grandma's house and laughed so hard he cried at his Uncle Perry's jokes. It was so nice they got a good chunk of time to reconnect. Scott and I took the little ones home to crash and get ready for church the next morning.

Sunday afternoon found me napping on the couch. This was a welcome respite since I had barely slept the week before, finding myself writing the PTA newsletter at 3 a.m. or washing dishes at the witching hour. Crazy Prednisone. Late in the afternoon we piled in the van and headed to Rowlett to spend some time with Uncle Greg & his family. We had a really fun evening eating pizza and cookies and playing a new movie trivia game that Greg had bought. Tyler and Valya wanted to keep playing, but after 3 rounds (a win each by mom, Greg & I) it was time to move on. We exchanged a few small gifts and really just enjoyed being together. I told Greg we would have to have another game night soon, but even he said we might have to work on how competitive we can be (Greg & I, that is!).

I was extremely surprised on Monday morning when my husband took a sick day from work. In six years of marriage, I think he has only taken one other day off because he wasn't feeling well. He had a stomach bug and I kept him isolated from everyone else while he healed and then disinfected the whole house. The last thing I need is everyone else sick this week, but so far we seem to have escaped the bug. Monday afternoon I attacked the play room with a vengeance. I cleaned, purged, organized and scrubbed. I was not only looking to have things neat and trimmed down before Santa arrives, but also to prepare for the eventual work that will be done in this room. After the holidays I will be back to work on the house and once my mantle is painted and base boards are in the living room I will begin the process of turning the play room into a pre-teen/teen room for Tyler. He has been very patient, sharing the massive front room with his brothers this year, but it is time for him to have his own special space - hopefully in time for him to start Junior High next fall.

Our Austin visitors headed back home on Sunday, but they left our precious Jocelyn here for a visit. How fun has it been to have her to ourselves! She stayed with Grandma and Grandpa, totally wearing them out, but I went out to help dad with her care on Tuesday and Wednesday. She is so sweet! She takes time to warm up, like my Scooter, but this week I really got to bond with her more. It's kind of freaky to me sometimes when she gives me a look just like her daddy, but I totally love it. Every once in a while she will run into your arms and when you pick her up she will snuggle into your neck and reach around to pat your shoulder. Her parents got in from Austin last night and Tyler chose to spend the night at Grandma's again - this time to have alone time with Uncle Matthew.

This week has been busy, but much more subdued than last week. I am thoroughly enjoying sleeping through the night again and I really love not having an alarm clock waking me up. Scott is off today since he worked on Saturday and as of now is still asleep, but that will change as soon as I finish writing. I have to do the regular grocery shopping today as well as grabbing the things we need to contribute to meals and get-togethers for the weekend. Then, we'll head to Rowlett on the just-opened-yesterday Tollway! I think this is going to cut a good ten minutes from my commute to mom's house and I am super pumped up about it! We'll hang out with family today and then Scott has to work again tomorrow.

The Christmas plan for us is chaotic as usual, but I think it should work out okay. We are attending Christmas Eve candle light services a night early at our church so as to leave room in the sanctuary for visitors on the actual day and also to give us more room for our schedule on Saturday. Scott's sister will drive in from Austin on Friday as well and I am sure we will see her that night at some point. On Christmas Eve we will have Christmas at my mom's house mid day with Matthew, Tara and the baby and then in the evening we will head to Scott's aunt's house for the annual Hensel party. On Sunday, we will send Tyler off mid-day to his dad and his other family for their Christmas together and a full week with his little brother and sister. Brian has the whole week off and is looking forward to time with all 3 kids together. We will spend the afternoon and evening with Scott's family for dinner and gifts and just plain fun.

One of my bestest friends is due to have her baby soon and if she doesn't deliver by next Thursday, she will be induced. Can't wait to hold the new little one. Another dear friend is coming in on Wednesday from New Mexico to spend a day with me. I haven't seen her since she moved in June and I can't wait to hug her neck and spend a day just loving on her. A third friend just returned from a 2 week Hawaii vacation that included the Pearl Harbor anniversary celebrations and we'll have lunch one day so I can hear all about it. And all the while there will be no alarm clock! Woohoo!

Technically, I still have to prep my stocking stuffers for something close to 30 kids at Scott's family's massive Christmas Eve celebration and there is another tin of cookies to frost, but the cookies can be done next week - we have plenty to eat for now. Still, we are ready. The kids are playing well together this week and they aren't driving us too crazy waiting for gifts. They are enjoying the culmination of our Jesse tree stories as we move into the Nativity stories and now will happily announce Jesus' birthday as the reason for Christmas.

All this chaos is so worth it. I am so grateful for the season and for it's reason - Jesus. I hope you are all ready to enjoy your families and your Christmas celebrations, whatever they are.

God Bless you all and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. 1) Woohoo! I made the blog!
    and
    2) You? (and Greg... and Asheley.. and...) Competitive at a game? Noooooo! Surely not.

    ReplyDelete