Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Really Big Feet . . .

I think Riley might have really big feet for a little guy. This probably has something to do with why he can ride a bike like a pro, but occasionally falls while crossing the room. I might not have noticed but the kid loves to take a shower. Ok, it isn't like I don't bathe him all the time, but as he says 'Momma, I like to get wet!'. Lately, he has wanted to jump in the shower with me almost every day, whether or not he had a bath the night before or not. He will corner me mid-morning and tell me 'Momma, don't take a shower without me.' It's gotten kind of ridiculous, but this is how kids learn to shower.

Mostly, Riley stands at the edge of the water stream getting just slightly spritzed while I wash my hair. I will wash him up after my conditioner is done and then after I rinse him off and he can't open his eyes anymore from the water spraying all over his face, he's ready to get out. I'll wrap him in a towel, send him on his way and finish up my own shower.

He is so obsessed with this right now that when I actually have places to go during the day, I will often try to sneak in and out of the shower before he wakes up. This will usually result in a very plaintive 'Momma, did you take a shower without me?' followed by requests for me to shower again. Timing is everything, and this morning time was not on my side.

I had just finished the shower and still had head wrapped in towel while I sported my very stylish baby-pink terry cloth robe complete with yellow rubber duckies appliqued on pocket and trim. (By the way, I would totally love a new robe, but I can't make myself spend money on it since I don't NEED a new robe. You know, just in case you were wracking your brain for the perfect May-Day gift for me or something.) I had not made it out of the bathroom yet when Riley woke up and found me there. I was caught! Guilty!

There was a lot of whining and crying and attempts at ordering me back in the shower. It took me a while, but I convinced Riley he didn't need me to take the shower with him. I got the water started and got him in the stream and stood just outside the ring of water helping him get clean and then exited the shower, leaving the door open to let him play and experiment with being in the shower alone.

So that's how I found myself standing back and examining my sons body without realizing I was doing so. And let me tell you, from that angle - Riley's feet are huge! They are kind of too big for his body. They almost looked like frog feet because they didn't match his short little peanut legs. Maybe I was imagining things, but I doubt it.

This little realization means 2 things:

1 - Riley is probably about to hit a growth spurt. His big growth spurt last year was in the spring, so this isn't that surprising. Hopefully, he will soon grow into his feet.

2 - The kids shoes are probably too small - again. I always feel like the worst mom on the planet when I realize that my kids have been walking around in shoes that are 2 sizes too small. It's tough because they don't really start informing you when shoes are tight in the toes until they are over the age of 5. At least mine don't. Riley has been wearing his crocs an awful lot lately and maybe it's because his much-loved Spider Man shoes don't feel good anymore, but who wants to trade in Spider Man shoes for a newer model? Spider Man shoes are way cool.

I should have seen this coming. We went roller skating for Tyler's birthday on Saturday and Riley was brave, venturing out onto the rink with his mom and a 'helper' for the slowest turn around the floor ever. He was so darn cute. When I ordered his skates, I did it in the size I bought shoes the last time and we couldn't get his feet in them. He wore the pair I had pulled for Scooter, 2 sizes larger, I just kind of thought it was how the skates sizes ran. Guess I better check Scooter's feet too, but he never did try the skates on so I am not sure where he stands at the moment.

Anyway - here I am again, one or two steps behind instead of ahead with a kid that has monstrously large feet for his little frame. At least for the moment.

Oh well!

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment